John M. Singleton is a graduate of Hunter College, City University of New York, in Psychology, Cum Laude and the Antioch School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia, J.D., graduating with Honors. His bar admissions include Maryland, 1980; U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1980; U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1982; U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit, 2001; and U.S. Supreme Court, 2002.
John has focused his practice primarily in all areas relating to employment and labor law representing individual employees, labor organizations and small businesses. As a trial attorney with over 30 years of experience, he handles labor law disputes, sexual harassment and discrimination, wage payment and collection, whistleblower and other retaliation issues, constitutional claims (free speech, association), government employee grievances, EEOC, MCHR and NLRB administrative charges, mediation, arbitration, licensing issues for doctors and nurses, severance and non-compete agreements, copyright infringement, labor organization representation, and other civil litigation matters for the firm.
ACHIEVEMENTS AND HONORS
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America in the Labor and Employment Law specialty.
- Best Lawyers in Maryland and D.C., U.S. News & World Reports
- Voted as one of “Top 100 Trial Lawyers in America”; U.S. Trial Lawyers Association
- Voted “Superlawyer” – Baltimore Magazine and Law and Politics Magazine
- Voted “Superlawyer” – Corporate Counsel Edition – Baltimore Magazine, Law and Politics
- Voted as one of “Best Lawyers in Maryland” – Baltimore Business Journal
- Voted among “Washington D.C. Best Lawyers” – Washington Post
- Voted “AV” and “Pre-eminent Lawyers in America” – Martindale-Hubbell each year since 1988
- Received an AV rating (the highest possible rating) for skills and ethics from Martindale-Hubbell, the oldest nationally recognized rating service, for the 24th year in a row
- Appointed as the only United States Representative on the United Nations Legal Committee for Mariners, International Maritime Organization.
- Former Executive Director of the Baltimore County Human Relations Commission
- Appointed to Serve as a Special Master for Labor & ERISA cases- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- In Chamber & Partners, USA Guide to Top Attorneys, he was rated as Maryland’s number one rated plaintiff employment attorney and was the only plaintiff attorney rated in their category 1 of ratings.
- Served on the Executive Council of the Maryland State Bar Association Labor and Employment Section for over 12 years earning the Distinguished Service Award
- Handled high profile cases featured on 60 Minutes (Video) and Dateline (Video)
- Maryland State Bar Association – Distinguished Service Award
- Maryland Best Employment Lawyers – Chambers USA
- Baltimore’s Best Employment Lawyers
- “Effective Strategies for Mounting a Successful Sexual Harassment Case”, Inside the Minds, Representing Employees in Sexual Harassment Cases, 2012
- “Understanding the National Labor Relations Board”, Maryland Employment Law Desk Book, 2021
- “Litigating Sexual Harassment Claims” Practice Before the Maryland Commission for Human Relations and County FEP Agencies, 2001
- “Fundamentals of Labor and Employment Law” MICPEL, 2002
TEACHING EXPERIENCE AND BAR ACTIVITIES
- Judicial Appointments Committee of Maryland State Bar Association 2019-2023
- Faculty for the Professionalism Course required for admission to Maryland State Bar.1999-2008
- Faculty, Maryland Institute for the Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers, (MICPEL)
- MSBA Award for Dedicated and Continuous Service to Maryland State Bar Association
- Developed Mediation Program and trained all mediators utilized by Federal, State FEP agencies
- Speaker, National Labor Relations Board, Region 5, "50thAnniversary Celebration and Conference,"
OTHER WORK OR VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE:
- Big Brothers of New York City, Psychiatric Social Worker,1975-1977,Spanish Harlem in New York City
- Emergency Medical Technician and ambulance driver throughout NYC; Flushing Volunteer Ambulance emergency calls including CPR, heart attacks, car accidents and childbirth; 1970-1976
- Hospital Volunteer at St. Dominic Hospital, Emergency room clerk and assistant. 1968-69